Printer friendly version About

Major milestones in the history of the coke and chemical industry in Yenakiieve
Plant’s chronology

1859


Under the project developed by A. Mevius, the Russian metallurgist, Petrovskyi Iron and Steel Works was built on the bank of the Sadky River, near the village of Korsun (4 km from Yenakiieve) with the aim to be the first plant in Russia to produce cast iron by using anthracides, namely coal. The plant consisted of a coke workshop with 20 coke ovens near Sofiivskyi Mine (now: Mine named after K. Marx) and later another coke workshop near Verovskyi Mine (now: Chervonyi Profintern Mine).

1912


The coke ovens, the coal preparation plant and the chemical workshops were combined into one plant.

1925


The plant was completely commissioned.

1935


First coke was produced on February 3 and March 10. Coke batteries No. 1 and 2 were launched.

1936


April - September. Coke batteries No. 3 and 4 were commissioned. The construction of Novo-Yenakiieve coke and chemicals plant was mainly completed.

1862


First cast iron and, most probably, coke was produced on May 17. Coke ovens underwent several reconstructions.

1897


December. Two blast furnaces with the capacity of 288 tonnes per day, two converters and 120 coke ovens with the capacity of 300 tonnes of coke per day were commissioned. The coke ovens and the coal preparation plant were part of the iron and steel works.

1923


The plant’s operation was suspended.

1932


The coke ovens and the coal preparation plant remained at the iron and steel works, and the chemical workshops formed a separate chemical plant. It consisted of the sulphate, benzene, desulphurisation, tar distilling and auxiliary workshops. Novo-Yenakiieve coke and chemicals plant started to be built.